Monday, March 5, 2012

My Craft Spot Challenge #47, "For the Birds"...

Hey Ya'll,
Happy Monday to ya!  Well, today is Challenge day over at My Craft Spot.  Today's Challenge is "For the Birds"!  All you have to do is have a bird somewhere in your project.  Difficult, right?  NOT!!!  Hee! Hee!  I wanted to do something a little bit different today.  I just received the new My Craft Spot stamps that are going to be released in a couple of weeks so that I can start making up some goodies to inspire ya'll with and it just KILLED me not to be able to use them for today's project.  I kept thinking... I can do this and I can do that... then I would realize... Oh Crud!  I can't show them yet.  Hee! Hee!  So... I decided to just play with Ribbon for this one.  I hope you like it!
 I used the Sophisticated cartridge for the bird with crown.  The only thing that altered was that I cut the bird shape out completely with chocolate card stock.  Then cut it again, twice, with blue card stock.  I cut the legs off of the blue layers so that there was a difference in color on the legs.  The Cherish You is from the same cartridge, but two different word cuts.  The oval and scalloped oval are from CTMH Art Philosophy.  The flowers are a punch that I had.  This beautiful ribbon is the flat seam binding ribbon from My Craft Spot.  This is the color called Caribbean!  It was a perfect match to my Recollections Card Stock.  The base for this card is craft card stock.
 The bottom most mat is chocolate card stock and then the paper.  I inked everything for this with Chocolate Ink.  The lace is some from the old stash.  Hee! Hee!  I used Liquid Glass on the entire oval.  I started just adding it to the letters and I didn't like where it was going, so I just covered the whole thing and liked it much better.
 I kept the inside very simple.  Just inked the edges and added a plain sentiment mat.
For the bird's wing and the centers of the flowers, I did something very easy to do.  For the wings, I simply covered the wing area of the bird cut with ATG tape.  I then took and stuck down an end of the ribbon.  Then I twisted the ribbon and started to press down the spiral rolled ribbon until I had the entire wing shape complete.  For the flowers, it's kinda the same thing.  I started with ATG on the back of the flower.  Stuck the end of ribbon down and then twisted it in the spiral.  You just turn and turn until you get it the way you want it and then pull the end back under the flower.  Stick that in place and you have your flower complete.  It's super simple to do and really makes simple flowers really stand out.  These little punched flowers take about 3 inches of twisted ribbon to complete.  It also looks wonderful to do this with crinkle ribbon as sometimes the color will be a little different here and there on the ribbon and it adds some beautiful texture to the centers of the flowers.

Well, I hope ya'll enjoyed the project today.  Now... I know there is a little birdy in your craft space somewhere, so grab it, get some paper and start crafting!  You have a challenge to do this week and could win a prize!  Hop on over to My Craft Spot to see what the rest of the wonderful design team has done and enter!  I can't imagine how many wonderful projects will be done this week, but I am sure going to enjoy it!  Thanks so much for visiting today and we would love to know what you think of this one!

14 comments:

  1. How pretty. Love the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!!! I love what you have done with the crinkle ribbon!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful.I love that bird cut. And the way you used the blue ribbon...genius. I need a notebook to list all the things you've done that I am inspired to try. I mean that sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I so love the way you worked that ribbon, it is truly gorgeous. What a beautiful effect you were able to achieve, I will have to give this technique a try! Another fabulous card my talented friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!! (The sort of gorgeous where my jaw drops and hits the floor.) I LOVE the way you've used ribbon. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty. Love the blue and the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!!! It's beautiful and I absolutely love the clever way you did the wing on the bird -- how different and clever!!! Oh, and I've got to mention the color -- love it!!! You just never cease to amaze me with your cardmaking!

    Fabulous job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card...as usual! Love all the gorgeous detail and embellishments!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the wing on your bird!!! Your card is just stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous! I love the wing and the centers of the flowers too! You asked about cutting with felt.....I used Heat N Bond and make sure that it is facing up. I also tape it tightly down to my mat. I hope that helps! : ) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous. I love the way you used ribbon for the bird's wings. New technique. I am so scraplifting. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool, love the bird and how you did his wing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This card is stunning. I love the little glubber wing. I wanted to thank you for all the wonderful words of encouragement on my blog, they mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete