Thursday, May 3, 2012

What was I thinking???

Hey Ya'll,
Well, I don't know what I was thinking... but... the Craft Room Remodel is underway.  I have to go back to work tomorrow and I sure haven't made it very far.  The house looks like a tornado hit it trying to get everything out so that we could work.  Hee! Hee!  So... Let's start with an update.

Ozzy is recovering from his surgery, but now has an ear infection.  He is laying around a lot and being very spoiled and clinging to Momma.  We are going to take him back to the Vet on Friday to make sure it's safe to take off the halo.  I think, for now, he just thinks it was permanently attached or something.  He seems to be ok with it, but we want to make sure the ear thing is cleared up so he can enjoy realizing that it's gone when the time comes.

Jill's car is still dead, but the parts arrived today.  Wish us luck and say a prayer because I have no idea what I am doing.  I am going on a really bad repair manual and phone calls from Jill's brother.  As I said... if I get in a car, turn the key and nothing happens, I call and say I think I broke it.  Fortunately, her car seems pretty simple and there doesn't seem to be much that could go wrong with it, but I think we are heading in the right direction.  We hope to at least get it going well enough that I can drive it to a dealer and say... "I did what I could, but now it's your turn."  Hee! Hee!  I just don't want to mess it up because Jill really loves her car.  She has had mine all week and seems to be getting a little depressed. Poor thing...  a few days without leather seats and a sunroof must be really tough.  Hee! Hee!

Ok... So back to the craft room.  I had no intention of remodeling the craft room yet.  I planned on doing some counters and reorganizing, but was waiting to decide what I really wanted.  I was thinking of going all out and doing very nice counters or having everything custom cut so that I could paint them.  Then my Mom calls me.  My parents have a friend who had a bunch of counter tops (brand new) in a storage pod that he wanted to get rid of.  She called me and I hopped in the truck with my Dad and we drove over to look at them.  Well, I saw some that I liked (a couple don't match, but are pretty close) and I asked him how much... thinking they were going to be very expensive because they are really nice.  THEY WERE FREE!!!  Can you believe that?!?  Well, that changes everything!  We loaded up several and headed out.  My parents have a couple for their home too!  We got the ones I wanted back to my house and I had until the next morning to come up with a plan to use them.  I am an interior designer, but that's pretty quick considering I was thinking of going a completely different way.  Hee! Hee!  But... I came up with a plan.  It is in no way complete and I will share more as we go along, but I am so excited with how it's starting off that I just had to share a picture with you... especially since there is NO WAY I am going to have time to make a project.  Hee! Hee!

Let's start with the BEFORE.  The room is actually two bedrooms on one end of the house that we converted in to one large space.  The entire room is about 11' x 24'.  In this first picture, you see one side of the room as you enter the door to the right.  One entire wall is shelves and grids with makeshift tables for working surface.  There are windows on each end of the room.  On the right of this wall are several of the cubes from Michaels.  I think they were called "Jetmax" cubes, but now are recollections.
 These are the cubes stacked up the wall.  Keep in mind, this is before.
 This is actually standing behind the table and looking across to the other side of the room.  On the other side, the wall of shelves and grids continue.  On the left side of this picture is two massive computer desks that will be coming out.  I have had them for years and they are the kind of corner desks that were made for monster computer towers and big heavy monitors with a little bit of surface to write on.  They were perfect for the old monster computers, but for the mini-box and flat screens or MAC laptop we have now, they just don't work anymore... so bye bye.  Hee! Hee!
 You can see again the grids and the shelves in the room.  It's basically a storage room with a little table to work on and two desks that don't work anymore.  Everyone who enters the room is wowed with all the stuff, but to actually work in it is kind of a nightmare.  When we originally put this together, we went with the fun bright green and I did sort of a sky blue ceiling.  Since this picture was taken, we have replaced the terrible little round lights with big florescent fixtures that put out a lot more wonderful light!  There is a lot of natural light that comes into this room too, but these pics were shot in the evening.
 So... Clearing all of that clutter and crap out and rearranging the cubes with some very skilled help from my wonderful Dad, this is the one side so far!  Amazing, right?  I could show you a picture of the other side, but you would just laugh.  I could show you a picture of my dining room and guest bedroom, but you would probably laugh hysterically.  Hee! Hee!  All that crap had to go somewhere so we could work.  Hee! Hee!
So... no cards or scrapbook pages today.  Sorry about that.  This project has been a lot more work, but I have a bunch of cool organizing things to share with you are we progress.  We were so blessed with these amazing countertops and the cubes are working perfectly as cabinetry underneath.  Once all of the desks are removed and the other side gets done... and I somehow manage to fit all of that stuff back in here, I will be taking lots of pics and sharing lots of the experience.  If you have a craft room, you know how challenging it can be to organize it, so since I have so many addictions, I figure it may help to learn how to organize them all individually, even though in our home, it's all in one room.  Hee! Hee!

Thanks so much for visiting today!  Shoot us come comments.  I will give you a topic.  Now that I have these beautiful brown countertops in the room, I HATE THE GREEN!  It seems to clean and pretty for such a bright and bold color scheme.  Obviously, we aren't afraid of color, but I am thinking of moving towards the color scheme like the CTMH Sonoma paper.  Smokey Plum, Olive and Bamboo is what we are thinking now.  What do you think?

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week and thanks so much for your patience while our lives turn upside down right now.  Hee! Hee!

12 comments:

  1. OMG!! I would take your before room, and your after room looks like its going to be better!!! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just, WOW!!! And my hubby thinks I have a lot of stuff! It's going to look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I am so jealous all that stuff those papers Yikes. And you must be real tall or have to get a ladder to reach things haha OH but I can see the beauty developing and I love the thought of the Sonoma theme, love the colors of that pack. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at all those goodies! and the size of that room is awesome..... My room is very small as you know but it works and the counter top my hubby installed is what makes it flow. You are going to love love love your new space and there is plenty of room for both of you to work in it. Yup the green needs to go, but I have to tell yuo I would keep it light so the room stays cheery as your counter tops are so dark. I am sure Jill doesn't want it to turn into a man CAVE! LOL
    ENJOY that gorgeous space! I am happy for you two as it will offer many hours of crafting pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww, poor Ozzy!!! I remember how sorry I felt when each of my babies had to wear one of those after some surgery or another!

    Wow, look at that craftroom!!! I wouldn't mind mine looking like that even cluttered... LOL!!! Both my craftroom and craft/office are pretty small, so it's hard just trying to find a clear space to step in to... lol!And I really need to get more racks for my papers because a lot of it is in boxes on the floor, and I have to go through each box when I need to find something in particular (talk about being disorganized, huh?)

    My friend, thanks for your comment, and just so you know, I always say a prayer for you guy. Just keep praying for me, and I'll continue to do the same.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room is fabulous! What a score, getting those beautiful countertops for free! I can't wait to see more pics! I really suck at picking colors, so I can't help you there. LOL! All the best with the rest of the remodel.
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just look at all the working space you are gonna have with those fabulous (not to mention free) counter tops! The room is really looking great and I know you cannot wait to get back in there and get to work. I like the green walls, but I can also see your room in a dusty blue or muted lavender...hmmmm...can't wait to see what you come up with. I know it will be fabulous. Good luck with the car and hugs to Ozzy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Everyone says that about my rooms too! LOL Of course mine doesn't look anything like yours.... People seem to think I have a lot of stuff then I tell them to check out other blogs of crafters and I got nothing on them! LOL You guys do have a ton of stuff... But I can see it all getting sorted and placed the way you want it soon! :O)I LOVE the countertops... Thats sooo pretty! I like the idea of a cream color or maybe a light blue in this room.... :O) I'm sure whatever you come up with, will look lovely and make your creativity flow! Super lucky to get those for FREE!!! Can't go wrong with that! I also hope you get the car running enought to get it to a shop for fixing! :O) Thanks for sharing your space... maybe one of these days I'll share the rest of my space too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES!!! Awesome start and those countertops are fantastic! I do like your thinking with changing the color scheme...and the CTMH heart colors sound awesome. I tend to like neutral colors in my craft space, so as not to distract from my supplies!! Wish I had half the space you have...but then I would probably have even MORE stuff to fill it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!! Loving the changes you are making!!!! Are you for hire??? The colors look great and I love all of the counter space (which I would fill up with piles of papers and unfinished projects)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you do, sympathy to Ozzy, and blessings to you and Jill, doing a craftroom make over is rough. Literally. I hated trying to chose paint colors, counters, and the whole layout. Trying to put it all together is so not me. Yet craft I can do. Love what you have done so far, and good luck picking new colors. Hurry though, I start my day with your fun and inspiration. Thank you. (have fun)


    your no# 1 fan.
    etfamily at wynndel dot ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmm Olive and Plum sound wonderful! I so need to do this again too! My room is full with supplies and absolutely cannot create in there. I just "shop" in there. Good luck as you put it back together.

    ReplyDelete