Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Well, Hello Again...

Hey Ya'll,
 
Well, it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing well.  I am trying really hard to catch up with things and it's not going so well.  Hee! Hee!  I finally got a new computer as one of my others died and WOW!  What a difference!  I can not get over how badly I actually needed a new computer.  Now comes the learning of the new format, loading software, pulling files from this one and that one to get them all on one place and trying to keep the desktop organized in the process.  We are so blessed, but the work that comes along with updates really takes a lot more time than you expect.  I haven't even had time to learn how to use my phone yet.  Hee! Hee!
 
I have also been working on some commitments that I have made lately and have several projects that I am really excited about, but I have to wait a little while before I can share them.  So... sorry for long absence, but I do have something to share with you today!  Finally!  YAY!!!
 
I have been doing a lot of studying of new things and one thing I have never tried before is quilting.  It's always something I have wanted to do, but never had the nerve to try on my own.  Well, it's been a long time since I really looked into it, but with the embroidery machine we got, I have really started searching for things and came across several new goodies!  I can't believe all of the wonderful tutorial videos and amazing deals out there for the sewing world now.  I guess I have been so obsessed with paper crafting that I just turned a blind eye to it.  Hee! Hee!  So... today's project is my first ever quilt project!  I hope you like it.  If you are an experienced quilter or sewing expert, you will see many things wrong, but I am still very proud.  Hee! Hee!
 
I am so excited about this project because the center piece of it was a fantastic find!  I discovered this site called Secrets Of Embroidery.  They have this amazing sale where you can get full collections of embroidery stitch files that are normally $25 to $75 for just ONE DOLLAR!  Here is the link if you want to check it out.  Secrets of Embroidery Link.  This Christmas Shopping Diva is one of the files from one of the many collections I got.  I think it was something like 128 stitch files that I got for $11.00!  They are all wonderful too!  Anyway, She is the centerpiece of this design.
 I used the new embroidery machine to run the stitch file.  BTW... this is also the first time I have ever done an applique.  Hee! Hee!  Well... embroidery one anyway.  Liquid applique, yet, but never a stitch design.  I found another amazing site from right here in Missouri!  Of course, they are at the opposite end of the state, but still they are in Missouri!  YAY!  Here is a link to them...  Missouri Quilt Company.  This link will take you to their tutorials page.  This quilt design is based on a tutorial that I watched on how to make a Crazy Quilt.  She used a template for the first cut and then added as she went along.  I just embroidered the shopping diva and then cut the center at random.  Then I started adding 2 1/2 inch strips until I had enough for the completed blog.  I then put it all together into a bag that I have made in the past.  It's just a simple gift bag with a draw string top.
 You can see some of the close up details of this embroidery design!  It's amazing!  There were 11 more ladies in this stitch group and was only a dollar!  How fun!  In watching these tutorials, I found another one from Missouri Quilt Company on how to make a simple ironing board.  On course, we already have an ironing board, but it just seemed like she had the perfect sized board in the tutorial and when I looked a little further and realized that I already had everything to make my own... I had to do it.  Hee! Hee!  To make this, you simply need an old towel, a piece of plywood (this one is 1/4 inch thick and is 18" x 24".) and a piece of fabric to use to cover it all.
 You simply stitch the sides of the towel and slide it over the plywood.  Then, you cut out and stitch up the fabric.  It's that simple!  When you put it on the table, just fold everything over.  It's wonderful and if it gets dirty, just take it all off the plywood and throw it in the wash!  It sure beats trying to use that big ironing board... now that I am so experienced.  Hee! Hee!
 This is how mine looks finished.
Now, I have these simple flat goodies that I can just pull out of the cabinet and throw on top of the counter... do my work and when I get back to the paper goodies, I just slip them back in the cabinet and you would never know... custom quilt shop.
 
So... things in the craft room have really been stressful for the last few months.  Things will be changing a lot on our blog.  Jill and I have sat down and discussed everything in detail.  There were times that I was feeling like I had to make things in order to keep up with the blog and it was starting to take the joy out of it.  We have added some new equipment to our craft room lately and have some new things we are studying and giving a try.  The most important thing to start with in all of these new things has been organization.  If it creates a mess that doesn't go away, it creates stress for us, so lots of effort going into getting things set up right.  Anyway... we have decided that we will post what we can, when we can and not worry anymore.  I think in the long run, it will result in more goodies to share and a bigger variety of projects to enjoy.  We will see as it goes along.
 
We sincerely appreciate each and every one of you and love the friendships that we have created a long the way of this journey.  That is why we have decided to keep sharing on the blog and keep things going with it.  So... I hope you don't mind some holes here and there in the posts as we continue to get organized and caught up.  Like I said earlier, we have lots of fun things that are completed as well that we have to share with you later.  We hope to get some visits in this week too.
 
I would love to know what you think of our little Christmas Diva and Ironing Board.  Thanks so much for visiting today!

10 comments:

  1. Very cool homemade ironing board. The bag is adorable, love the lady. So classy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning and I'm glad you are enjoying your new toy. You ironing board is really useful and won't be in the way. Fabulous. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are having a great time. Fabulous project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well....there you are! I was beginning to get worried! And look what you have been up to! How great is this? I love that fun, sassy little Christmas shopper, she is adorable! I'm so happy to hear that you've had some time to play with your new toys. New toys are wonderful, but they do come with a learning curve and you have to take time to adjust. Try not to stress over posting so often...your work speaks for itself and your followers will be patient. I know that I'll be back because I can't wait to see what you two will come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great project! Were in Missouri do you live? I live near Springfield. Are we neighbors??

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems to be the season for cutting back on commitments. Sometimes we overwhelm ourselves with what we think we HAVE to do or else. I mean where does the pressure come from, ourselves. So do what you feel and enjoy.
    This is a darling bag. Love your shopper. I think you are going to enjoy your machine. Great tip about the ironing board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What an AWESOME BAG!!! I can't sew so I LOVE seeing such neat projects with quilting and such..... LOVE the home made ironing board!
    And don't stress so much if you can't post.... I've been there and still kind of am... We all have super busy lives these days and lots of commitments... Post when you can.... I'm always checking in here anyway... so if theres something thats great if not I'll always check back tomorrow! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughing at your board... lol!!! But it's cool!!! ROFL!!!

    Bobby, your bag is amazing!!! I am soooo happy to see you really are enjoying your new machine!!! I don't see any mistakes only a fabulous job, my friend!!!

    P.S. I'm still working on learning my phone too, but getting better at it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bobby and Jill,LOVE your quilting...it is beautiful.
    Sorry i haven't been around lately,life is incredibly busy!
    Completely understand about blogging, there does feel a pressure to post at times although I think I am getting more relaxed about it!!
    Hugs
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete