I thought I would share a project with you that goes along with a big remodel project we have been doing for a while now. It's so hard to believe that we have been in our house for going on 8 years and really haven't done much to remodel except for the craft room. Well, now we have started.
We are remodeling the entire kitchen and started with painting all of the cabinets. We haven't done the counter tops, crown molding and stuff yet, so it will be a little while before I have pictures of any of that. It's been fun, but also a HUGE undertaking. This is something a little unexpected, but I thought I would share it with you just the same. If you don't like purple, you will hate this post. Hee! Hee! There are a lot of pictures and text, so hopefully I won't bore you to tears.
So... This whole project started with mentioning to a friend at work that we were looking to get a china cabinet for our breakfast room. When I mentioned it, she said, "I have this old buffet in my garage that I had been wanting to redo and have never gotten around to it, so my husband would like to be able to open the door on his mustang." I thought, it wouldn't hurt to swing by and check it out. This is what it looked like before.
It had actually fallen off of a truck and was in pretty bad shape. I am a sucker for a challenge, so I got it from her for $30.00. The doors were off, the drawers were all broken and the top was really messed up, but it just needed a little love. I didn't get pictures of the process on the buffet, but let's just say... I worked on it for about a week clamping and propping and everything I could do to get it back into shape... Then I took it all apart and painted it.
Then, Jill and I decided to stop by a new flea market in town that we hadn't been to before. I had measurements of the buffet, but really didn't expect to find anything... when all of the sudden... The angels started to sing! On the floor, in a corner of the basement of the store, was a china cabinet top for $100.00! Well, I couldn't leave it sitting there... I measured and it was the exact size that we needed! Although it was another $35.00 to have it delivered... we certainly couldn't fit it in the back of Jill's Volvo. Hee! Hee!
This is what it looked like after it was delivered.
You will have to excuse the walls in the background as they were a work in progress at the time as well. Hee! Hee! Can you believe this was only $100.00? So exciting!
So... I started off by masking everything, which took a LONG time.
I used everything from Home Depot with their Behr Premium Line. It's a little more expensive, but it's the most amazing stuff I have ever used! This is what it looked like with a coat of bonding primer and the inside was already started with the color. The bonding primer is amazing as you don't have to sand anything.
Here is what we looked like with the base coat. Wow... This picture really looks pink, but all in stages, right?
Once I had everything base coated, I antiqued everything with a dark chocolate brown color mixed with bees wax and a soaked towel. Sorry... forgot to shoot a picture of that part. I then wanted to highlight the details and get it so that it would work with the cabinets we painted in the kitchen which are a light tanish color with just a hint of green. I simply dry brushed the details and I love how they turned out. We have a thing for flowers and folk art pieces too, so I painted some purple flowers on the top decorative pieces too.
Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but I took all of these in the process with my phone and I think on this last one, there must have been a smudge on the lens. Hee! Hee! As I mentioned before, the top of the buffet was in really bad shape. It had actually come apart and someone had used some staples to hold it back together. Hee! Hee! What were they thinking? I had originally thought of getting a piece of granite cut for it, but I love this so much better. Anyway... One the two pieces were done, I added some chair rail trim all around the edge and the caulked it and painted to match. They really look like they were made to go together! We feel very lucky that this turned out the way that it did. At the time, the whole area was a work in progress, so we still have the wood floors to put in, picture frame moldings and crown to put up, but the cabinets is done and ready to fill with our wedding crystal.
So... Long post, but I thought you all might enjoy seeing one of our more time consuming projects. It took about two weeks to rebuild the buffet and about a week with all of the drying time to take care of the china cabinet, but it just works on our little space on this earth.
If you have any old furniture that needs a remake, this was really a lot easier to do then you would think. All you need is a good quality bonding primer and a little nerve to go off the wall with color, but you can really do a lot yourself to make your house... your house.
Thanks so much for visiting today and have a great one!